Students in English 070 will learn to write unified, coherent, short compositions, following standard conventions of spelling, punctuation, and grammar. They will base their writing on a reading and understanding of basic texts, enhanced by active participation in class discussions.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to
- Use appropriate strategies to write unified, coherent, short compositions.
- Read and articulate an understanding of a text that uses conversational vocabulary, an easily recognizable organizational pattern, and basic sentence structure.
During the course students will
- Participate in class discussions.
- Summarize and paraphrase a text.
- Generate ideas.
- Organize ideas.
- Write unified paragraphs.
- Write rough drafts.
- Revise rough drafts.
- Edit and proofread drafts, practicing conventions of spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Demonstrate the ability to read critically: summarize and paraphrase, question, and analyze a text.
- Practice objectives 1-9 in in-class writing.